COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A federal judge has rescheduled a hearing to weigh Ohio State University’s request that a civil rights lawsuit by the school's fired ex-marching band director be tossed.
Jonathan Waters sued for reinstatement last year, accusing the university, President Michael Drake and a provost of discriminating against him by disciplining him differently than a female
employee and denying him due process.
The university seeks dismissal of the suit, saying Waters was an at-will employee who could be fired for any reason, and Waters can't validly argue gender discrimination as a member of the male majority.
The school alleges he repeatedly concealed a “sexualized” band culture from outsiders and misled university officials. Waters, who was terminated in July, has re-applied for the job.
Judge James Graham will now hear arguments April 10.
- Posted February 11, 2015
- Tweet This | Share on Facebook
Hearing reset in fired band director lawsuit

headlines Macomb
headlines National
- ACLU and BigLaw firm use ‘Orange is the New Black’ in hashtag effort to promote NY jail reform
- Judge accused of using ‘game or jail’ tactic, asserting abuse victims get ‘Super Bowl’ neurochemicals
- Prosecutor gets suspension for invading jury’s ‘inner sanctum’
- Lateral hiring bounced back in 2024, especially for associates in BigLaw, new NALP report says
- Refugee ban can’t be enforced against those who received conditional approval, 9th Circuit says
- ABA, more than 50 bar associations condemn ‘government actions that seek to twist the scales of justice’