CHEBOYGAN (AP) — Chesapeake Energy has pleaded no contest to attempted antitrust violations and agreed to pay $25 million to settle claims that it conspired to keep prices down during an auction for oil and gas leases, state officials announced.
“This is a victory for Michigan taxpayers and a victory for all the Michigan land owners who took deep hits to their pocketbooks following the October 2010 private land auction,” Attorney General Bill Schuette said in a written
statement. “This settlement will achieve recovery for every one of the more than 700 affected victims who come forward and make a valid claim.”
The per-acre cost of leases had dropped to $40 from $1,510.
In addition to the $25 million, Oklahoma City-based Chesapeake will pay $5 million to the state. Encana Oil and Gas USA agreed last year to pay $5 million.
Separately, Chesapeake pleaded no contest to two misdemeanors in northern Michigan’s Cheboygan County. The case will be dismissed next year if Chesapeake follows the settlement.
- Posted April 29, 2015
- Tweet This | Share on Facebook
Chesapeake Energy to pay to settle lease probe

headlines Macomb
headlines National
- ACLU and BigLaw firm use ‘Orange is the New Black’ in hashtag effort to promote NY jail reform
- Judge accused of using ‘game or jail’ tactic, asserting abuse victims get ‘Super Bowl’ neurochemicals
- Prosecutor gets suspension for invading jury’s ‘inner sanctum’
- Lateral hiring bounced back in 2024, especially for associates in BigLaw, new NALP report says
- Refugee ban can’t be enforced against those who received conditional approval, 9th Circuit says
- ABA, more than 50 bar associations condemn ‘government actions that seek to twist the scales of justice’