MOUNT CLEMENS (AP) — The Michigan appeals court has cleared the way for the parole board to release a Macomb County man who fatally shot his ex-wife’s boyfriend in the back four times.
In 2014, a judge blocked parole for Steven Strutz, saying he was a threat to the public, based on his behavior in prison and other factors. But the appeals court last week said the parole board didn’t abuse its authority.
The court says Judge Jennifer Faunce improperly substituted her judgment. Strutz’ release from prison was opposed by prosecutor Eric Smith.
Strutz has been locked up since 1997. He said he had no memory of killing his ex-wife’s boyfriend because he was extremely drunk.
He pleaded no contest to second-degree murder.
- Posted February 17, 2016
- Tweet This | Share on Facebook
Court: Parole board can release man who killed ex-wife's boyfriend

headlines Macomb
- Students star in courthouse competition
- Governor deploys National Guard, lifts trucking restrictions to get fuel to impacted areas, adds additional counties to state of emergency declaration
- SADO and MAACS attorneys to argue before Michigan Supreme Court
- Court affirms convictions of 2 key people in plot to kidnap Whitmer
- State AG Nessel issues new consumer alert on genetic testing services
headlines National
- ACLU and BigLaw firm use ‘Orange is the New Black’ in hashtag effort to promote NY jail reform
- Judge accused of using ‘game or jail’ tactic, asserting abuse victims get ‘Super Bowl’ neurochemicals
- Prosecutor gets suspension for invading jury’s ‘inner sanctum’
- Lateral hiring bounced back in 2024, especially for associates in BigLaw, new NALP report says
- Refugee ban can’t be enforced against those who received conditional approval, 9th Circuit says
- ABA, more than 50 bar associations condemn ‘government actions that seek to twist the scales of justice’