TROY (AP) — A Michigan appeals court judge who is trying to get around an age limit has lost the first round of a legal challenge.
Peter O’Connell sued in the wrong court.
A Court of Claims judge dismissed the case last week, saying O’Connell should start in a circuit court instead.
O’Connell tells The Detroit News that he’s “shocked.” His lawyer is pledging to appeal.
O’Connell can’t run for re-election in 2018 because he’ll be 70.
So he’s suing the state to try to get his name on the ballot this year as an incumbent for a different seat on the appeals court.
O’Connell has been told that he can run but he needs to collect signatures and can’t be listed as the incumbent.
- Posted March 15, 2016
- Tweet This | Share on Facebook
Appeals court judge upset over age limit sues in wrong court

headlines Macomb
headlines National
- ACLU and BigLaw firm use ‘Orange is the New Black’ in hashtag effort to promote NY jail reform
- Judge accused of using ‘game or jail’ tactic, asserting abuse victims get ‘Super Bowl’ neurochemicals
- Prosecutor gets suspension for invading jury’s ‘inner sanctum’
- Lateral hiring bounced back in 2024, especially for associates in BigLaw, new NALP report says
- Refugee ban can’t be enforced against those who received conditional approval, 9th Circuit says
- ABA, more than 50 bar associations condemn ‘government actions that seek to twist the scales of justice’