MOUNT CLEMENS (AP) — A judge has issued a temporary restraining order preventing the state School Reform Office from appointing a chief executive officer to oversee four academically low-performing East Detroit Public Schools.
Macomb County Circuit Court Judge Joseph Toia ruled recently there is a risk that allowing a takeover would cause the school district “irreparable harm.”
He has scheduled a hearing on the issue for June 13.
In a lawsuit filed last week, East Detroit School Board President Craig Brozowski argued that a state-appointed CEO would deprive citizens of their right to vote in local school board elections.
In February, the School Reform Office announced it would appoint a chief executive officer to oversee the academics of four of the district’s seven schools that rank at the bottom 5 percent in the state.
- Posted June 02, 2016
- Tweet This | Share on Facebook
Judge blocks state from taking over schools

headlines Macomb
headlines National
- ACLU and BigLaw firm use ‘Orange is the New Black’ in hashtag effort to promote NY jail reform
- Judge accused of using ‘game or jail’ tactic, asserting abuse victims get ‘Super Bowl’ neurochemicals
- Prosecutor gets suspension for invading jury’s ‘inner sanctum’
- Lateral hiring bounced back in 2024, especially for associates in BigLaw, new NALP report says
- Refugee ban can’t be enforced against those who received conditional approval, 9th Circuit says
- ABA, more than 50 bar associations condemn ‘government actions that seek to twist the scales of justice’