EASTPOINTE (AP) — A Detroit-area district has won a temporary restraining order that — for now — keeps a state-appointed chief executive from running four of its seven schools.
Macomb County Circuit Court Judge Joseph Toia approved the order last week and scheduled a July 18 hearing on the matter.
State School Reform officials appointed Gary Jensen to oversee academics at four low-performing public schools in Eastpointe in the East Detroit Schools.
District officials have said they prefer an agreement reached with the Macomb Intermediate School District to improve academic achievement at the targeted schools.
A school reform office spokesman said the “latest court action” is being reviewed” with the state Attorney General’s office.
- Posted July 12, 2016
- Tweet This | Share on Facebook
CEO school oversight temporarily halted

headlines Macomb
- Students star in courthouse competition
- Governor deploys National Guard, lifts trucking restrictions to get fuel to impacted areas, adds additional counties to state of emergency declaration
- SADO and MAACS attorneys to argue before Michigan Supreme Court
- Court affirms convictions of 2 key people in plot to kidnap Whitmer
- State AG Nessel issues new consumer alert on genetic testing services
headlines National
- ACLU and BigLaw firm use ‘Orange is the New Black’ in hashtag effort to promote NY jail reform
- Judge accused of using ‘game or jail’ tactic, asserting abuse victims get ‘Super Bowl’ neurochemicals
- Prosecutor gets suspension for invading jury’s ‘inner sanctum’
- Lateral hiring bounced back in 2024, especially for associates in BigLaw, new NALP report says
- Refugee ban can’t be enforced against those who received conditional approval, 9th Circuit says
- ABA, more than 50 bar associations condemn ‘government actions that seek to twist the scales of justice’