DETROIT (AP) — Michigan officials have filed a condemnation lawsuit in order to acquire a church, remove it and make way for the Gordie Howe International Bridge between Detroit and Windsor, Ontario.
The Detroit Free Press recently reported the state sued last week after representatives of the First Latin American Baptist Church rejected a state bid to buy it.
The Michigan Department of Transportation offered about $400,000.
However, the church said it needed at least $2 million to relocate nearby.
The lawsuit is the first of its kind against a large property owner in the state’s effort to acquire land for the bridge, its approaches and freeway connections, and inspection plaza.
The bridge is scheduled to open in 2020 but snags in acquiring the necessary land could cause delays.
- Posted October 12, 2016
- Tweet This | Share on Facebook
State goes to court to acquire church in path of bridge

headlines Macomb
headlines National
- ACLU and BigLaw firm use ‘Orange is the New Black’ in hashtag effort to promote NY jail reform
- Judge accused of using ‘game or jail’ tactic, asserting abuse victims get ‘Super Bowl’ neurochemicals
- Prosecutor gets suspension for invading jury’s ‘inner sanctum’
- Lateral hiring bounced back in 2024, especially for associates in BigLaw, new NALP report says
- Refugee ban can’t be enforced against those who received conditional approval, 9th Circuit says
- ABA, more than 50 bar associations condemn ‘government actions that seek to twist the scales of justice’