BELLAIRE (AP) - The chief election officer in a northern Michigan county said she won't count paper ballots by hand in the May 4 primary, despite the wishes of commissioners.
Antrim County Clerk Sheryl Guy said an electronic voting system "must be used in all elections in every precinct throughout the state."
The county puts paper ballots through a tabulator. A separate hand count can be requested by county commissioners after the initial round of counting, Guy said.
"I cannot legally hold the May 2021 election with paper ballots counted by hand," she said Monday.
Antrim County has been in the spotlight since the fall election when results in the Republican county initially showed a local victory for Joe Biden over Donald Trump. But it was attributed to human error, not any problems with voting machines, and corrected.
County commissioners last month voted to count May primary ballots by hand instead of spending money to prepare Dominion voting machines for the election.
The county still is locked in litigation with a resident who accused officials of fraud in the fall election.
- Posted April 07, 2021
- Tweet This | Share on Facebook
County clerk: I won't count May primary ballots by hand

headlines Macomb
- Students star in courthouse competition
- Governor deploys National Guard, lifts trucking restrictions to get fuel to impacted areas, adds additional counties to state of emergency declaration
- SADO and MAACS attorneys to argue before Michigan Supreme Court
- Court affirms convictions of 2 key people in plot to kidnap Whitmer
- State AG Nessel issues new consumer alert on genetic testing services
headlines National
- ACLU and BigLaw firm use ‘Orange is the New Black’ in hashtag effort to promote NY jail reform
- Judge accused of using ‘game or jail’ tactic, asserting abuse victims get ‘Super Bowl’ neurochemicals
- Prosecutor gets suspension for invading jury’s ‘inner sanctum’
- Lateral hiring bounced back in 2024, especially for associates in BigLaw, new NALP report says
- Refugee ban can’t be enforced against those who received conditional approval, 9th Circuit says
- ABA, more than 50 bar associations condemn ‘government actions that seek to twist the scales of justice’