Ohio Man who killed teen in 1985 executed Death marks first execution in six months

By Andrew Welsh-Huggins

AP Legal Affairs Writer

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Ohio on Wednesday executed a man for fatally stabbing the 15-year-old son of his former employers during a 1985 farmhouse burglary, marking the state's first execution in six months.

Forty-nine-year-old Mark Wiles died by lethal injection, ending an unofficial moratorium on the death penalty that occurred while the state and a federal judge wrangled over Ohio's lethal injection procedures. The time of death was 10:42 a.m.

Wiles, who dropped his final appeal last week, told the Ohio Parole Board that he wasn't sure he deserved mercy but he was requesting clemency because he had to. Both the parole board and Gov. John Kasich denied Wiles' request.

Wiles' defense team had argued he should be spared because he confessed to the crime, showed remorse and had a good prison record.

Records show that Wiles surprised 15-year-old Mark Klima during a burglary at his family's farmhouse and stabbed him repeatedly with a kitchen knife until he stopped moving.

Wiles could easily have escaped the farmhouse after Klima surprised him but instead chose to stab the teen repeatedly, Portage County Prosecutor Victor Vigluicci told the parole board.

A report to the parole board said Wiles had suffered a head injury in a bar 12 days before the slaying in Rootstown in northeast Ohio, and a doctor testified that tests indicate he may have an injury to part of the brain that regulates impulse control. Another doctor agreed that Wiles has a brain injury and said he also has a substance-abuse problem and personality disorder.

The parole board earlier this month ruled unanimously that Wiles' execution should proceed because he exploited the kindness of the family, for whom Wiles had been a farmhand, and because his remorse doesn't outweigh the brutality of the crime.

Ohio's most recent execution delays stem from inmates' lawsuits over how well executioners perform their duties.

U.S. District Court Judge Gregory Frost sided with inmates last summer and postponed executions while the state updated its procedures.

In November, Frost allowed Ohio to put Reginald Brooks to death for killing his three sons in 1982. In the process, executioners deviated slightly from their written execution plan.

The changes were minor but angered Frost, who had made his impatience with even slight changes clear. He once again put executions on hold.

Two weeks ago, after a weeklong trial over the latest procedures, Frost said the state had narrowly demonstrated it was serious about following its rules. He warned prison officials to get it right the next time.

Published: Thu, Apr 19, 2012