'12 Governor's Awards for Historic Preservation

By Roberta M. Gubbins

Legal News

Eastside Armory LLC [Gillespie Group], Studio Intrigue Architects and Kincaid Henry Building Group are among those receiving the 2012 Governor's Awards for Historic Preservation for their work on the rehabilitation of the Lansing Artillery National Guard Armory, Lansing.

The armory, known as the Marshall Armory, was home to the 119th Field Artillery of the Michigan National Guard from 1924 to 2005 when the last field artillery unit moved out. For the next few years, employees of the guard and Michigan Department of Military and Veteran Affairs used the facility. In 2008, the building was decommissioned by the military and left empty.

The Gillespie Group purchased the building, designed by World War I artilleryman and Ann Arbor architect Lynn W. Fry, in 2010 and began the renovations.

While it is now home to six non-profits and the Gillespie Group, through its nearly 90 years of service to Lansing, the Armory hosted a variety of events such as National Guard training session, dances, weddings, circuses, boxing matches, WWII rallies and St. Patrick's Day parties.

Governor Rick Snyder and Gary Heidel, executive director of the Michigan State Housing Development Authority, recently announced the selection of the 2012 Governor's Awards for Historic Preservation.

''The preservation of historic buildings and archaeological sites is vital to maintaining a sense of place in our state,'' said Snyder. ''This year's recipients understand the power of historic places to attract business and tourists and the difference they make in our communities.''

The other 2012 recipients are:

Keweenaw National Historical Park, Quinn Evans Architects, Yalmer Matilla Contracting, Inc., and the Keweenaw National Historical Park Advisory Commission, for the rehabilitation of the Union Building, Calumet

Swanee, Incorporated and Barry Polzin Architects for the rehabilitation of the Richter Brewery, Escanaba

G. A. Haan Development, U.P. Engineers and Architects, and Oakwood Construction for the rehabilitation of the Adams and Masonic Temple Buildings, Sault Ste. Marie

City of Boyne City, C2AE, Richard Neumann Architect, and Graham Construction for the rehabilitation of the Boyne City 1910 Waterworks Building, Boyne City.

''We see the results daily of how historic preservation transforms communities,'' stated State Historic Preservation Officer Brian Conway. ''The Governor's Awards for Historic Preservation give us an opportunity to recognize some of the people behind the projects that are making a difference to Michigan.''

Recipients will receive their awards at a public ceremony in the Michigan State Capitol Rotunda on Wednesday, May 2, at 9:00 a.m.

The State Historic Preservation Office is financed in part with federal funds from the National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior. The office receives federal financial assistance for identification and protection of historic properties. The State Historic Preservation Office is part of the Michigan State Housing Development Authority.

The Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) provides financial and technical assistance through public and private partnerships to create and preserve decent, affordable housing for low- and moderate-income residents and to engage in community economic development activities to revitalize urban and rural communities.

Published: Mon, Apr 9, 2012

Comments

  1. No comments
Sign in to post a comment »