Zeeland Record
Nearly four months have passed since a grease fire heavily damaged Frank’s Restaurant.
The interior of the iconic 102-year-old diner at 134 E. Main Ave. has been stripped bare as work crews have gone through the process of cleaning up the space and getting it ready for restoration. You can see the wooden slats in the ceiling.
“It’s a very quiet, different place right now,” owner Teresa Vander Zwaag said.
The April 18 fire, which started in one of the grills inside Frank’s, resulted in about 50 customers that were eating in the Frank’s East portion of the restaurant to flee. No one was hurt.
Since then, Vander Zwaag and general manager Ashleh Sosa have been working with insurance companies, contractors and city officials, all with the goal of bringing Frank’s back to its original glory.
“Everybody’s waiting for their Frank’s burger,” Sosa said.
Dan Vos Construction has been the general contractor on the restoration project, which Vander Zwaag says is running ahead of schedule. The contractor is soon expected to submit applications for building permits, Vander Zwaag said.
“The city has been very agreeable and supportive – the (Ottawa County) Health Department as well, in all of our conversations. We just have to put those things in paperwork,” she said.
The restoration work will include an updated hood and exhaust system, as well as extension of the counter to serve more patrons. The Bastian Blessing soda fountain that hasn’t been operational in years will be brought back to life, Vander Zwaag said.
The artifacts and mementos that have lined the walls of Frank’s are also being cleaned and restored. A West Michigan company called Prism Specialties has been hired to take on that task.
“They specialize in restoring museum pieces and artifacts and antiques. They have a special process for it,” Vander Zwaag said.
Not a single item adorning the restaurant walls was lost in the fire, Vander Zwaag said.
“It could have been a lot worse. We’re thankful it wasn’t. The firefighters did amazing. Our team did amazing,” Vander Zwaag said.
“Zeeland (firefighters) knew exactly where to go (to find the fire’s origin), because they know the history – straight to the basement,” she added.
City Community Development Director Tim Maday confirmed that he expects to see permit applications from Frank’s in the near future.
“They’re doing (demolition) and figuring out how the building is assembled, so that way they can give us plans that accurately reflect how it’s put together and how it’s going to be put together,” Maday said. “We’ve authorized the demolition over there to expose the framing … but we have not yet received a plan set to put it all back together.”
Frank’s East has been open on a limited basis since the fire, although it has made a concerted effort to be open on nights where there are activities downtown, such as Zeelmania and Music on Main. While Frank’s famous burgers have not been available for purchase, customers have been able to eat other restaurant staples.
“We’re staying true to what Frank’s offers. That was the sloppy joe that’s Pat’s (Dionise) recipe, the chili is Frank’s recipe, the pulled pork. We’ve been able to add a few things too,” Vander Zwaag said.
A firm timeline for when Frank’s might reopen hasn’t been determined. It’s hoped that could happen early next year, but that remains to be seen.
“The main goal remains to preserve the Frank’s we all know and love, while getting Frank’s ready for the future, in a safe way. It’s going to be safe for Zeeland, safe for the restaurant. It’s going to be really good,” Vander Zwaag said.
––––––––––––––––––––
Subscribe to the Legal News!
https://legalnews.com/Home/Subscription
Full access to public notices, articles, columns, archives, statistics, calendar and more
Day Pass Only $4.95!
One-County $80/year
Three-County & Full Pass also available




