Published: February 20, 2024
The Federal Bar Association, Eastern District of Michigan Chapter, hosted its “2024 Wade H. McCree Jr. Luncheon for the Advancement of Social Justice” on Wednesday, February 7, at the Detroit Athletic Club. Stephani LaBelle (center), director of Project Clean Slate, was this year’s recipient of the Wade H. McCree Jr. Award for the Advancement of Social Justice.
Business Law Symposium draws crowdFebruary 20, 2024A panel discussion on “Young Lawyer Perspectives on Litigation and Trial Practice” was part of the 6th Annual Symposium presented by the State Bar of Michigan Business Law Section on February 8 at the Guardian Building in Detroit. Daniel Ravitz of The Miller Law Firm served as moderator of the discussion, which featured panelists Jacob Campbell of The Miller Law Firm; Mahde Abdallah of BSP Law; Isra Khuja of Rossman PC; and Paige Szymanski of Taft.
District Court Bench/Bar Conference hosted in BirminghamFebruary 20, 2024The Oakland County Bar Association will present the 2024 District Court Bench/Bar Conference, “Recovering the Lost Art of Civility,” on Friday, March 15, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at The Community House, 380 S. Bates St. in Birmingham.
Mirror image – Law student follows in familiar footstepsFebruary 20, 2024Sabrina Soka had her eyes set on Lady Justice as early as elementary school.
“I had a limited understanding of the role of lawyers, thinking it primarily involved courtroom appearances and dressing up for work,” she says with a smile.
Attorneys speak at ‘District Court Appeals’ webinarFebruary 20, 2024The Oakland County Bar Association will present “District Court Appeals” as a webinar Thursday, March 7, from noon to 1 p.m. via Zoom.
This interactive seminar will provide an overview of district court appeals. It will discuss the processes and protocols in certain courtrooms. Examples and tips will be shared as well.
headlines Oakland County
- Controversial qualified immunity doctrine faces tests in Louisiana
- Judge says he misperceived interaction at bar event as flirting, leading him to touch lawyer’s ‘lower hamstring’
- Court-appointed lawyers are victims of stolen check schemes, prosecutors say; 6 people charged
- A few partners leave Cravath despite changes that generate more money for superstars
- From Generative AI to Revenue Drivers: Insights from the LawPay and MyCase ‘Legal Industry Report 2024’
- Judge faces potential discipline for allowing secretary to work remotely