New lawyers v board
Published: February 28, 2024
The Oakland County Bar Association’s 19th Annual Challenge between the New Lawyers Committee (NLC) and the OCBA Board featured a cornhole tournament at Platform in Birmingham on Thursday, February 15. After a tough loss last year, the NLC reclaimed the winning trophy for 2024.
Attorney general files comments with at MPSC about Consumers Energy spending planFebruary 28, 2024This month, Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel filed comments with the Michigan Public Service Commission (MPSC) on Consumers Energy Company’s 5-year distribution plan. The Commission required Indiana Michigan Power Company, Consumers Energy Company, and DTE Electric Company to file their 5-year distribution plans last fall and set separate 2024 deadlines for interested parties to file comments regarding the plans.
Oakland County to conduct first siren test of severe weather seasonFebruary 28, 2024Oakland County will conduct its first outdoor warning siren test of 2024 on Saturday, March 2. It will produce a steady three-minute tone beginning at 1 p.m.In a real emergency, the siren indicates a tornado has been sighted or strongly indicated on radar or a severe thunderstorm with sustained winds of 70 mph or greater is in the area. Residents would be given instructions to seek shelter immediately and listen to radio or television for more information.
Whitmer signs bipartisan bills?to protect children, cut red tape, improve environmental review processFebruary 28, 2024On Monday,?Michigan Governor?Gretchen Whitmer?signed two bipartisan bills to better protect foster care children in Michigan and ensure they are receiving a high-quality education. She also signed a trio of bills to cut red tape and improve the environmental rules promulgation process.
Supreme Court casts doubt on states' efforts to regulate social media platformsFebruary 28, 2024WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court cast doubt Monday on state laws that could affect how Facebook, TikTok, X, YouTube and other social media platforms regulate content posted by their users. The cases are among several this term in which the justices could set standards for free speech in the digital age.
headlines Oakland County
- New lawyers v board
- Attorney general files comments with at MPSC about Consumers Energy spending plan
- Oakland County to conduct first siren test of severe weather season
- Whitmer signs bipartisan bills?to protect children, cut red tape, improve environmental review process
- Supreme Court casts doubt on states' efforts to regulate social media platforms
- Partner ran office ‘like a toxic boys club locker room,’ fired Thompson Hine lawyer alleges
- Longtime civil rights advocate Emmet Bondurant will receive this year’s ABA Medal
- Is SCOTUS making it harder to teach constitutional law? Profs ‘depleted’ and taken aback by ‘velocity’ of change
- ‘Known Christian conservative’ judge says his ouster over sexual assault reversal was ‘total political hit job’
- What’s new in document automation for lawyers?
- Only 1 out of 5 defendants in this Mississippi county get court-appointed lawyers before indictment