Power of attorney law update
Published: February 16, 2024
Members of the Macomb County Probate Bar Association (MCPBA) gathered recently to examine changes in power of attorney laws. The featured speaker was Catherine Jacobs, senior counsel with Warren Norcross + Judd LLP.
Firing workers enters new era: From private dismissals to online audiencesFebruary 16, 2024Did the employee who taped her video conference firing — which subsequently went viral —go too far?
To Deborah Brouwer, managing partner of Detroit-based management-side labor and employment law firm Nemeth Bonnette Brouwer, the real issue is not whether the employee should not have shared the tape, or even whether the discharge was justified, but how the employer handled the discharge in the first place.
Michigan consumers lose $151K to scams in 2023February 16, 2024The Federal Trade Commission received 52,036 fraud reports from consumers in Michigan in 2023, according to newly released data.
Michigan consumers reported losing a total of $151,679,000 to fraud, with a median loss of $410.
At a Glance ...February 16, 2024DETROIT (AP) — A man in prison for nearly 60 years was eligible for immediate release Tuesday after a judge reduced his sentence, the result of a major change in how Michigan treats 18-year-olds convicted of murder.
Ivory Thomas began serving a life sentence in 1965 for killing a young man in a Detroit park. He was 18 at the time of the fatal stabbing, according to the Wayne County prosecutor's office.
- Controversial qualified immunity doctrine faces tests in Louisiana
- Judge says he misperceived interaction at bar event as flirting, leading him to touch lawyer’s ‘lower hamstring’
- Court-appointed lawyers are victims of stolen check schemes, prosecutors say; 6 people charged
- A few partners leave Cravath despite changes that generate more money for superstars
- From Generative AI to Revenue Drivers: Insights from the LawPay and MyCase ‘Legal Industry Report 2024’
- Judge faces potential discipline for allowing secretary to work remotely