PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — A federal judge has recused himself from the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission’s lawsuit over the state’s $75 million deal with 38 Studios, the failed video game company owned by former Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling.
WPRI-TV reports that U.S. District Judge William Smith was randomly assigned to the case when the agency filed suit last week against the Rhode Island Commerce Corp., Wells Fargo and others. The SEC says they defrauded investors by making misleading statements when they sold the bonds used to fund the deal.
Smith says his wife works for Commerce, the state economic development agency, so recusing himself was appropriate.
The case has now been assigned to U.S. District Judge Jack McConnell.
- Posted March 16, 2016
- Tweet This | Share on Facebook
Judge in 38 Studios case steps aside
headlines Macomb
- Leadership role
- MDHHS emphasizes firearm safety, education on anniversary of secure storage law
- Nominating Committee conducts forum for ABA leadership candidates
- Third leader charged in multi-state forced labor conspiracy involving Kingdom of God Global Church
- Businesses from across the state recognized as 2026 Michigan Celebrates Small Business award winners
headlines National
- A wave of lawsuits has resulted from online comments after Charlie Kirk’s assassination
- Goldman Sachs top lawyer resigns after emails show Jeffrey Epstein friendship
- Failed indictment of 6 Democratic lawmakers blamed on Jeanine Pirro-picked prosecutors
- Federal judges may address ‘illegitimate forms of criticism and attacks,’ according to new ethics opinion
- Senate GOP aims to reveal companies funding lawsuits
- Bad Bunny’s ‘love conquering hate’ message at Super Bowl reiterated by judge sentencing assaulter




