PONTIAC (AP) — The Michigan Supreme Court is interested in the case of a student who was rejected for admission at a Roman Catholic schoo.
Under Michigan legal precedent, courts have steered clear of certain decisions made by faith-based schools, saying it would be unconstitutional under the First Amendment.
But the high court last week told lawyers to file arguments about whether that 1994 ruling should be overturned. The order lists other issues, too.
The latest case involves a girl rejected by Notre Dame Preparatory High School in Pontiac after attending Marist Academy. Both are run by the Marist Fathers and Brothers.
The girl’s family says she was illegally rejected because of a disability. The appeals court said courts can’t intervene.
- Posted November 10, 2016
- Tweet This | Share on Facebook
Catholic school's decision under review by state's top court
headlines Macomb
- Leadership role
- MDHHS emphasizes firearm safety, education on anniversary of secure storage law
- Nominating Committee conducts forum for ABA leadership candidates
- Third leader charged in multi-state forced labor conspiracy involving Kingdom of God Global Church
- Businesses from across the state recognized as 2026 Michigan Celebrates Small Business award winners
headlines National
- A wave of lawsuits has resulted from online comments after Charlie Kirk’s assassination
- Goldman Sachs top lawyer resigns after emails show Jeffrey Epstein friendship
- Failed indictment of 6 Democratic lawmakers blamed on Jeanine Pirro-picked prosecutors
- Federal judges may address ‘illegitimate forms of criticism and attacks,’ according to new ethics opinion
- Senate GOP aims to reveal companies funding lawsuits
- Bad Bunny’s ‘love conquering hate’ message at Super Bowl reiterated by judge sentencing assaulter




