SAULT STE. MARIE (AP) — The Michigan Court of Appeals won’t set aside charges in the death of a 2-year-old Upper Peninsula boy who suffocated.
The case against Donald Nelson and the boy’s mother, Mary Plis, has reached three courts. A District Court judge dismissed the case, but the decision was overturned by a Chippewa County Circuit judge.
The appeals court affirmed that ruling last week with a 2-1 vote.
Nelson and Plis are charged with involuntary manslaughter. Authorities allege that the boy was overly swaddled in many blankets before being placed on a soft couch in 2013.
Two appellate judges said there’s evidence to support allegations that Nelson and Plis were grossly negligent. But in dissent, Judge Jane Markey says there’s no evidence that the couple knew or should have known the boy would be at risk.
- Posted January 02, 2017
- Tweet This | Share on Facebook
Court: Charges will stand against couple in death of U.P. boy
headlines Macomb
- Leadership role
- Warren man bound over on 10 felonies related to alleged shooting and high-speed fleeing and eluding
- Nessel secures judgment against construction company for consumer protection violation
- ACG Detroit celebrates women leaving an impact on the middle market at Inspire & Ignite Luncheon
- Attorneys general ask court to enforce order preventing cuts to billions in disaster preparedness funding
headlines National
- A wave of lawsuits has resulted from online comments after Charlie Kirk’s assassination
- Goldman Sachs top lawyer resigns after emails show Jeffrey Epstein friendship
- Failed indictment of 6 Democratic lawmakers blamed on Jeanine Pirro-picked prosecutors
- Federal judges may address ‘illegitimate forms of criticism and attacks,’ according to new ethics opinion
- Senate GOP aims to reveal companies funding lawsuits
- Bad Bunny’s ‘love conquering hate’ message at Super Bowl reiterated by judge sentencing assaulter




