DETROIT (AP) — An appeals court has thrown out the conviction of a Detroit-area man in a major drug case, saying a judge blew it when he refused to allow new trial attorneys.
Federal authorities described the drug ring as one of the largest in Detroit history.
In a 3-0 decision, the appeals court says even prosecutors urged federal Judge Stephen Murphy III to honor Earnest Proge’s request. The judge saw it as a delay tactic, although Proge’s attorneys said they weren’t prepared for trial and had been working on a plea deal. One lawyer was allowed to withdraw.
The appeals court said Murphy violated Proge’s constitutional rights in 2014. Judge Karen Nelson Moore says the facts are “sobering.”
Proge was sentenced to 30 years in prison; Carlos and Eric Powell were sentenced to life. The trio fled before the jury’s verdict but were then captured.
- Posted February 13, 2017
- Tweet This | Share on Facebook
Man wins appeal over lawyers: big drug conviction tossed
headlines Macomb
- Leadership role
- Warren man bound over on 10 felonies related to alleged shooting and high-speed fleeing and eluding
- Nessel secures judgment against construction company for consumer protection violation
- ACG Detroit celebrates women leaving an impact on the middle market at Inspire & Ignite Luncheon
- Attorneys general ask court to enforce order preventing cuts to billions in disaster preparedness funding
headlines National
- A wave of lawsuits has resulted from online comments after Charlie Kirk’s assassination
- Goldman Sachs top lawyer resigns after emails show Jeffrey Epstein friendship
- Failed indictment of 6 Democratic lawmakers blamed on Jeanine Pirro-picked prosecutors
- Federal judges may address ‘illegitimate forms of criticism and attacks,’ according to new ethics opinion
- Senate GOP aims to reveal companies funding lawsuits
- Bad Bunny’s ‘love conquering hate’ message at Super Bowl reiterated by judge sentencing assaulter




