DETROIT (AP) — A judge has agreed to a 90-day timeout in a lawsuit that accuses the state Corrections Department of violating the rights of female prison guards.
The U.S. Justice Department and the state will use the time to try to reach a settlement. Federal Judge Paul Borman signed the order last week.
In its lawsuit, the government said female guards were being forced to work overtime at the Huron Valley women's prison in Washtenaw County. The guards say it's also difficult to transfer because the Corrections Department won't let male guards fill certain jobs.
The Justice Department has said employers can't lock workers in or out of a job because of their sex. The prison has many female guards because male guards years ago sexually assaulted prisoners.
- Posted July 18, 2018
- Tweet This | Share on Facebook
Feds, Michigan will try to settle lawsuit over prison guards
headlines Macomb
- Leadership role
- MDHHS emphasizes firearm safety, education on anniversary of secure storage law
- Nominating Committee conducts forum for ABA leadership candidates
- Third leader charged in multi-state forced labor conspiracy involving Kingdom of God Global Church
- Businesses from across the state recognized as 2026 Michigan Celebrates Small Business award winners
headlines National
- A wave of lawsuits has resulted from online comments after Charlie Kirk’s assassination
- Goldman Sachs top lawyer resigns after emails show Jeffrey Epstein friendship
- Failed indictment of 6 Democratic lawmakers blamed on Jeanine Pirro-picked prosecutors
- Federal judges may address ‘illegitimate forms of criticism and attacks,’ according to new ethics opinion
- Senate GOP aims to reveal companies funding lawsuits
- Bad Bunny’s ‘love conquering hate’ message at Super Bowl reiterated by judge sentencing assaulter




