DETROIT (AP) — After five trips to the Michigan appeals court, a prison sentence for a fire that killed a Detroit firefighter might be settled 13 years later.
The court late last week affirmed a 30-year sentence for Mario Willis, who was convicted of second-degree murder in the 2008 death of firefighter Walt Harris.
Willis was accused of paying a handyman $20 to burn down an abandoned house. The roof collapsed on Harris, killing him as he was fighting the fire.
Willis' case has bounced for years between Wayne County and higher courts. The trial judge initially was told that he had failed to adequately explain why he exceeded the guidelines in ordering a 41-year prison term.
The latest sentence by a different judge was within the guidelines, the appeals court said.
Willis has remained in prison during his appeals.
- Posted June 08, 2021
- Tweet This | Share on Facebook
Sentence OK'd in 2008 fire that killed Michigan firefighter
headlines Macomb
- Leadership role
- MDHHS emphasizes firearm safety, education on anniversary of secure storage law
- Nominating Committee conducts forum for ABA leadership candidates
- Third leader charged in multi-state forced labor conspiracy involving Kingdom of God Global Church
- Businesses from across the state recognized as 2026 Michigan Celebrates Small Business award winners
headlines National
- A wave of lawsuits has resulted from online comments after Charlie Kirk’s assassination
- Goldman Sachs top lawyer resigns after emails show Jeffrey Epstein friendship
- Failed indictment of 6 Democratic lawmakers blamed on Jeanine Pirro-picked prosecutors
- Federal judges may address ‘illegitimate forms of criticism and attacks,’ according to new ethics opinion
- Senate GOP aims to reveal companies funding lawsuits
- Bad Bunny’s ‘love conquering hate’ message at Super Bowl reiterated by judge sentencing assaulter




