HIGHLAND PARK (AP) — Prosecutors have won a key ruling from the Michigan Supreme Court as they try to save a murder conviction in a case that took about 30 years to bring to trial.
The Supreme Court says the appeals court used the wrong legal standard last year when it threw out the first-degree murder conviction of William Lyles Jr.
He was accused of stabbing Andrew Weathers in Highland Park back in 1983.
The Supreme Court recently told the appeals court to take another look.
Lyles, now 63, wasn’t charged until 2012. Files and evidence were lost, but the case eventually was reopened.
The conviction was set aside because a judge didn’t give a jury instruction about considering evidence of Lyles’ good character in the years before he was charged.
- Posted November 04, 2015
- Tweet This | Share on Facebook
Prosecutors win key decision in 1983 cold case conviction
headlines Macomb
- Leadership role
- MDHHS emphasizes firearm safety, education on anniversary of secure storage law
- Nominating Committee conducts forum for ABA leadership candidates
- Third leader charged in multi-state forced labor conspiracy involving Kingdom of God Global Church
- Businesses from across the state recognized as 2026 Michigan Celebrates Small Business award winners
headlines National
- A wave of lawsuits has resulted from online comments after Charlie Kirk’s assassination
- Goldman Sachs top lawyer resigns after emails show Jeffrey Epstein friendship
- Failed indictment of 6 Democratic lawmakers blamed on Jeanine Pirro-picked prosecutors
- Federal judges may address ‘illegitimate forms of criticism and attacks,’ according to new ethics opinion
- Senate GOP aims to reveal companies funding lawsuits
- Bad Bunny’s ‘love conquering hate’ message at Super Bowl reiterated by judge sentencing assaulter




