Gongwer News Service
Senate Minority Leader Aric Nesbitt formally asked the U.S. Department of Justice to investigate Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s administration over its involvement in the $20 million legislative grant given to businessperson Fay Beydoun that resulted in alleged fraud.
In a Monday letter to Acting U.S. Attorney General Todd Blanche, Nesbitt, R-Porter Township, sought to make the case that a review over the grant and evidence of fraud should be investigated on the federal level.
“Under normal circumstances, state-level authorities should handle such matters. However, Michigan faces a unique crisis of oversight,” Nesbitt wrote. “Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel maintains a well-documented personal friendship and political alliances with Gov. Whitmer. This relationship creates an inherent conflict of interest that calls into question whether the Michigan attorney general can impartially investigate the governor.”
The letter comes in the wake of the ongoing investigation into Beydoun for alleged theft of $20 million in legislative grant dollars awarded during the 2023 fiscal year to her company Global Link International.
After the grant was awarded, according to charges announced last week by Nessel, Beydoun filed false expenditure reports .
Beydoun faces one count of conducting a criminal enterprise, one count of forgery, one count of larceny by conversion, seven counts of uttering and publishing and six counts of larceny by conversion, all felony charges.
She is alleged to have used the grant dollars provided to her through the Michigan Economic Development Corporation for personal gain, including for her salary and foreign trips rather than for the business accelerator project for which the money was appropriated.
Nesbitt in his Monday letter said a federal investigation into a potential ““pay-to-play” scheme” was warranted.
He pointed to Whitmer’s appointment of Beydoun to the MEDC’s executive committee. Nesbitt also pointed to $16,000 in campaign contributions from Beydoun to Whitmer as well as her hosting of fundraisers for the governor.
The senator also pointed to 2021 WhatsApp messages from Beydoun in which she claimed she had spoken directly to the governor about the proposed grant.
“The people of Michigan deserve to trust that taxpayer dollars are used to help Michigan families, not enrich political donors,” Nesbitt wrote. “Those who violate that trust should be held accountable, regardless of their office or connections.”
A request left with Whitmer’s office on Monday for comment was not immediately returned.
Nessel spokesperson Danny Wimmer said in a Monday statement there is no conflict of interest for the attorney general.
“In her years as attorney general she has investigated people affiliated with both the Democratic and Republican parties alike, with no political favor,” Wimmer said. “This investigation remains ongoing, and will continue in earnest as directed by evidence – not politics.”
Michigan Democratic Party spokesperson Derrick Honeyman in a statement called the move by Nesbitt a desperate attempt to gain attention in the Republican gubernatorial primary.
“Former House Republican Speaker Jason Wentworth sponsored this earmark – and it passed under House Republicans,” Honeyman said. “Michigan Republicans have been at the center of several criminal investigations for stealing taxpayer money, and whatever Nesbitt claims, the fact remains that Jason Wentworth, Lee Chatfield, and Republicans cannot escape their corruption-riddled history of enriching themselves and their donors.”
––––––––––––––––––––
Subscribe to the Legal News!
https://legalnews.com/Home/Subscription
Full access to public notices, articles, columns, archives, statistics, calendar and more
Day Pass Only $4.95!
One-County $80/year
Three-County & Full Pass also available




