- Posted December 04, 2013
- Tweet This | Share on Facebook
Schuette wants juvenile lifers to stay behind bars
ANN ARBOR (AP) -- Michigan's attorney general is pledging to challenge court rulings that could lead to parole for prisoners convicted of murders committed when they were under 18.
Bill Schuette says he will appeal the decisions of Ann Arbor federal Judge John Corbett O'Meara, who has ordered the state to start the parole review process for more than 300 inmates.
The judge says the prisoners deserve to benefit from a 2012 U.S. Supreme Court decision that struck down mandatory no-parole sentences for teens. Schuette says the decision shouldn't apply retroactively.
O'Meara last week set a Jan. 31 deadline for the state to give him an update. Schuette says the judge has exceeded his authority.
Published: Wed, Dec 4, 2013
headlines Oakland County
- Solo practitioner happy to spearhead association’s Young Lawyers Section
- Insurance & Indemnity Law Section awards scholarship
- Firearm safety, education emphasized on anniversary of secure storage law
- ‘Generative AI 101’ offers lawyers a practical guide
- UIA closed three days this week for Presidents Day and system upgrade
headlines National
- A wave of lawsuits has resulted from online comments after Charlie Kirk’s assassination
- Goldman Sachs top lawyer resigns after emails show Jeffrey Epstein friendship
- Failed indictment of 6 Democratic lawmakers blamed on Jeanine Pirro-picked prosecutors
- Federal judges may address ‘illegitimate forms of criticism and attacks,’ according to new ethics opinion
- Senate GOP aims to reveal companies funding lawsuits
- Bad Bunny’s ‘love conquering hate’ message at Super Bowl reiterated by judge sentencing assaulter




