- Posted February 12, 2014
- Tweet This | Share on Facebook
Detroit says bankruptcy plan will be filed next week
DETROIT (AP) -- The city of Detroit says it will file a plan to emerge from bankruptcy next week, just days before a March 1 deadline.
The disclosure was made Monday by attorney Bruce Bennett during a hearing in the case.
Detroit filed for bankruptcy last summer, claiming $18 billion in long-term debt. It recently shared a reorganization plan with creditors, although that plan is subject to change while negotiations occur in private.
The plan so far includes the possible spinoff of the city's water department to a regional authority, a move that's been criticized by the suburbs.
Foundations and the Detroit Institute of Arts are pledging nearly $500 million to prop up pensions and prevent the sale of city-owned art. Gov. Rick Snyder also wants the state to kick in millions.
Published: Wed, Feb 12, 2014
headlines Oakland County
headlines National
- A wave of lawsuits has resulted from online comments after Charlie Kirk’s assassination
- Goldman Sachs top lawyer resigns after emails show Jeffrey Epstein friendship
- Failed indictment of 6 Democratic lawmakers blamed on Jeanine Pirro-picked prosecutors
- Federal judges may address ‘illegitimate forms of criticism and attacks,’ according to new ethics opinion
- Senate GOP aims to reveal companies funding lawsuits
- Bad Bunny’s ‘love conquering hate’ message at Super Bowl reiterated by judge sentencing assaulter




